Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ice Storm

If you have been reading the news at all, or live in the state of Kentucky, you know that the entire Kentucky National Guard has been called out to help those in parts of Kentucky who are still without power.

My oldest son, Dusty, called last night and said he had been moved to the area of Kuttawa and Eddyville.Dusty talked like it is bad, it resembles a war field and the people there have been without any electricity for several days.

Mark and I did a craft show this past summer in Kuttawa so I at least knew what town he was staying in. Kuttawa is a beautiful part of Kentucky near Lake Barkley, with rows of quaint looking homes, and a just a really nice part of the state to visit or live. So, I am really hoping they are able to recover from the damage done there.

Today, Dusty's unit is going to start with door to door welfare checks. I just pray they don't find anything but survivors who have managed through the storm somehow.

Dusty stated that is he glad he is able to do something to help out. He is now under federal orders and said it may be a month before he gets home.

It means a lot to me that both of my sons are willing to serve not only their country but their fellow mankind as well. They are willing to sacrifice a warm bed, television, and good hot meals to go and help other people.

The flag that shows on top of this page was taken in front of the rubble of the Russellville Middle School. That flag has come to mean a lot in this house. After marrying Mark I adopted an entirely new respect for the flag even though I was raised in a home with a strong military history. Now, with two sons in uniform, the flag flying in the wind will bring tears to my eyes.

We have two flags in this house that mean a lot to the occupants here. One is the flag that was presented to my great-aunt and great-uncle after their son died in WWII. This flag only has 48 stars, each one of my sons has asked for it, so that will be a hard decision one day of deciding which one will receive it.

The other flag holding a special place of honor is the one that draped the coffin of Mark's dad, Kenneth Hathcock. He, too, was retired from the Army. One day the decision will need to be made of who to pass that flag onto. This flag holds a very special place in Mark's heart since he followed his dad's footsteps of a career in the military.

My mother still has the flag that draped my dad's coffin. He was a disabled vet and instilled in all four of his daughters a love for this country. I guess when the time comes to find a new home for that flag we will just have to put our names in a hat and see who gets drawn out.

I am very proud of my sons, and all three of my children, because they are always so willing to give to others. Their unselfishness toward others is one that fills my heart with pride. They don't look at situations and ask what they can get out of anything. They aren't the type of people that believe in the "I" mentality.

No comments: